Thursday, November 8, 2007

Ask for a blessing!

I don’t remember now how my friend, Helen, and I discovered Psalm 86:17, but what an exciting and essential verse it has become in our lives. It’s a red flag, of sorts, that we throw upwards in difficult situations and say, “I’m in need of a blessing today, Lord!”

Psalm 86:17:
Show me a sign for good, that those who hate me may see it, and be ashamed,
because Thou, O Lord, hast helped me and comforted me.

“Show me a sign for good” – some translations say, “Show me or send me a sign of your favor;” or, “Give me a sign of your goodness.” Literally, this phrase means, “Make with me a token by Thy providential care.”

Over the years, especially during particularly stressful and difficult times, this verse has surfaced time and time again. It speaks to me and floods my being: Show me a token for good; send me a sign of your favor. Make it appear to others, as well as to myself, that God is doing me good and designing further good for me. Let me experience some illustrious instances of God’s favor to me, a token of God’s goodness.

This principle is straight from the Word of God, and it works, if for no other reason than it changes my directional views. Instead of looking at the situation in front of me or getting caught up in the stress swirling around me, I begin to look for signs of how good God is to me – to all of us – daily. Think back over your own life. How have you been blessed? What are you thankful for? If you look for them, these tokens or signs of God’s good are all over the place! I challenge you to open your eyes and your heart and see them.

No comments: